Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thread Painting







Last night I finished up a "thread painting" which was discussed in the Art Quilt Workbook. I decided to create a frog quilt since this is the next challenge in our Art Quilt Network group. I started my quilt about a week ago and I loved the process! It was so very much fun. I don't think I would have been as happy if I had a limited selection of thread, but as it turns out, last year I bought a Guterman thread case/sampler with about a hundrend spools of thread in every color. Lots to choose from - it was perfect. Green is one of my favorite colors so I had even more choices.

I also felt very free to use raw edge applique with the thread work. I didn't use an adhesive to "glue" the fabric on my base - instead, I placed the untrimmed, loose fabric scraps (right side facing out) with the thread painting stacked next as I used the outline of the frog and stitched from the back of my work to applique the piece in place. Then working from the front, I trimmed the applique close to the stitched edge with scissors. Later, as I quilting the piece, I ran over most of the raw edges. It looks secure, yet not glued down. It has some dimension.


Something I learned about this is that the thread tension will change as you layer each thread color. Also, I used a vintage linen napkin as my base and I loved the softness of the napkin, but it had a tendency to shrink in - even though I used a heavy interfacing to stablize the work. I had read in "Quilting Arts" that for interesting colors, you could use two threads at once, but I was not successful at this. I found that it looked better and was more painterly to use the threads individually. I also found that I got different results with the same two colors depending on which thread was sewn first. I will definitely do this again, but I'll probably dye my base before starting. I loved the vintage linen, so I will be visiting antique shops soon for more of these wonderful canvas fabrics. Anyway, very fun!!! Give it a try.

1 comment:

Lori Gravley said...

Mindy, I love the frog. Your thread painting is beautiful; you could also paint the napkin with dye-na-flow first. I haven't been able to use two threads successfully either, but you've done a beautiful job blending the colors. Lovely!!