Thursday, April 30, 2009

Love to Start Projects

I realized last night that I love to start new projects. I get so wrapped up in a vision of what my next project will look like that it consumes me. I am starting a new project - supposed to be an exercise really - of trying new techniques for stitching and surface design. What starts out as an idea, flicker a spark of something to try, moves rapidly into a full blown project that keeps growing beyond the boundries I have set. If I have slept on an idea, my mind takes over and a simple project grows out of control. Am I just having a mid-life thing or am I just letting the creative self out to play? I don't know.

I found a new way to machine applique that does not involve fusing adhesive to my work. What I like about this new technique is that without thinking about what other people have done, I solved a problem that was bothering me. The problem is that when you use the fusable webbing, the glue makes the fabric applique look very flat. I am not satin stitching or zig-zaging over the raw edge, but I am using a close, small straight stitch that I stitch down before triming the applique. I'll post pictures later. I trim the applique very close to my stitching and the effect is very good. I'm not sure how well it will be secured, but my art pieces are not going to be handled too much or washed, so I don't think this will be a problem. I'd love to hear comments on this technique if you have an opinion.

No comments: