Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Photographing My Quilts



I tried to take photos of some of my quilts last night. I had a horrible time! I read that you should always photograph your artwork on a black background. Use a tripod and good lights. I tried all of these ideas and still only had minor success. I am going to an expert next and will have someone else try to get good images of my quilts. I am including the photos that I took on this blog until I get better pictures.

I made this quilt when I was home on a "snow day" from school. I had been given a crazy quilt patch as a challenge in the Art Quilt Guild that I belong, and was supposed to finish the quilt. All I could think about was summer and how my cats love playing in my flower garden. They get under the leaves and play hide-and-seek and tag. My flowers sometimes really takes a beating! The crazy quilt patch was an antique patch made of old silks and chintz fabric. There was some embroidery on the patch. I cut the back off the patch to preserve some of the original stitching and begain a layering process. I added elements under the silks, on top of the silks and held everything together with a fine blue-gray tulle. I then embellished and quilted. It was very freeing and fun to make, even though it took me a while to get started. Note the Butterfly patch is really an antique cigar silk label that was given to me by my cousin. I added this under the yellow silk patch from the original patch.

2 comments:

morningDove said...

I saw your quilts on FAT-Fiber Artists Trade. First welcome to the group and second I love orange. Your quilts are fantastic. And the kitty peaking his head out so fun. I've always wanted to make one like this. Maybe I will be tempted to try and ask your advice.

Mike Evans said...

Wow Mom (this is Megan, not Mike) - this is a really cool quilt! I love it. Great Job. (Mike likes it too)